Welcome to the site for all the latest information about Connecticut's dirty little century, roughly 118miles in early September, about half off paved surfaces. Please start by reading The Basics (this is a link) for information about the ride (if current year Basics is not yet available, the previous year will give a general gist).

Rather than answer individual questions repeatedly, please address questions as "comments" to the MOST RECENT post and I will answer in a blog posting for all to see.





Wednesday, March 21, 2018

I'm not dreaming of a white WeeTour

Hey, anybody notice the climate has been doing funny things of late?  Almost like it changed or something.  So, today's scheduled for another late March Nor'easter, just like the ones we, well, never really knew.  Yeah, something is different.

Messy Meshomasic Motorway Monday

Anyhow, as of yet, none of the white stuff has actually made it to the ground in central CT, but the route does head south from there, so may touch into the projected heavy snow band.  That said, yesterday was the first day of spring, so when it's not actually snowing, the stuff on the ground has been melting quite quickly, especially once the sun can hit on any dark earth, so I'm optimistic that conditions will be fine for the ride in a week and a half.  How bad could it be?  We'll answer that question more completely in 10 days.

As with the big Detour, there is a Sunday rain date reserved for the WeeTour, so I'll plan on confirming the ride day by the end of the day next Thursday, so check the blog for that and any last dire warnings, important tips, or more of my general rambling blather.  Stuff like that.

Speaking of speaking, I didn't specifically mention in the ride's introduction, that this is a self led ride, or at least you need to follow someone who is self leading.  The general idea here is to get enough people out there that everyone has someone to ride with at a comfortable pace.  Also, Pete needs people to talk to.  So download the GPX file from MapMyRide AND the copy the cue notes from the ride posting.

For those of you riding without a GPS unit, you are wonderful people, or maybe not since you have something in common with me.  For this ride, cues are a little tricky: Click on "Directions/Notes" on the left side of the MapMyRide page, and that will give you cues for "most" of the route, but for some reason, it is showing the later part of the course, after leaving rt149 as an offroad section.  I'll see if I can fix this, but if not, you'll need map sections, or your own written cues, or to follow one of those magical modernist with the GPS bling.

That should cover the ride for now.  I did have some questions about what 8spd parts I need, so I should clarify, the last thing I need is more bike parts, but I would be happy to give a home to any 7/8spd chains, cogsets, or shifters you never got around to tossing.  I also use worn out 34 tooth chainrings with the 110mm compact road BCD, and I love old narrow, racy saddles with torn covers so I can mistreat my bum on hard plastic.  Please no medications to help me with these issues; I'm perfectly happy the way I am.

4 comments:

  1. There's no signup on bikereg or anything right? Just show up and ride?
    -Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've it correct, Simon. This ride is decidedly LoFi compared to the Detour: show & ride. Just be sure to check here Friday for any last minute updates. If things are soggy, the start may need to relocate for parking.

      Delete
  2. will the commemorative wEeToUr shirts be available in hi-tek fabric, or just lo-fi cotton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can be any material on which you want to print them, baby, but it's only "official" if they read: "This is not a WeeTour T-shirt." Anyone who knows the allusion, well, yeah, you rock!

      Delete